Amazon QuickSight is a cloud-scale enterprise intelligence (BI) service that you should use to ship easy-to-understand insights to the individuals you’re employed with, wherever they’re.
You may construct dashboards utilizing mixtures of information within the cloud, on premises, in different software program as a service (SaaS) apps, and in flat recordsdata. Though customers can all the time view and work together with dashboards on-demand of their browser or our native cellular apps, generally customers want to obtain notifications and report snapshots on a scheduled foundation or when a sure worth surpasses a user-defined threshold.
On this submit, we stroll you thru the options and strategy of scheduling electronic mail stories and configuring threshold-based alerts.
Overview of answer
In QuickSight Enterprise version, you possibly can electronic mail a report from every dashboard on a scheduled foundation or primarily based on a threshold set for KPI and gauge visuals. Scheduled stories embody settings for when to ship them, the contents to incorporate, and who receives the e-mail.
Scheduled electronic mail stories work with row-level safety so that every person receives stories containing solely information that’s related to them. Alert stories embody threshold worth, alert situation, and the receiver’s electronic mail. To arrange or change the report despatched from a dashboard, just remember to’re an proprietor or co-owner of the dashboard.
To obtain electronic mail stories, the customers or group members should be a part of your QuickSight account. They should have accomplished the sign-up course of to activate their subscription as QuickSight readers, authors, or admins.
On this submit, we configure the e-mail settings for a QuickSight dashboard for customers and assemble a customized electronic mail for every person or group primarily based on their information permissions.
The answer contains the next high-level steps:
- Arrange scheduled electronic mail alerts to your current stories.
- Arrange threshold-based electronic mail alerts for the prevailing stories.
- View alert historical past.
- Arrange electronic mail alerts if the dataset refresh fails.
For this walkthrough, it is best to have the next conditions:
Arrange scheduled electronic mail alerts
To configure scheduled emails to your stories, full the next steps:
- On the QuickSight console, select Dashboard within the navigation pane.
- Open a dashboard.
- On the Share menu, select Electronic mail report.
- For Schedule, select the frequency for the report. For this submit, we select Repeat as soon as every week.
- For Ship first report on, select a date and time.
- For Time zone, select the time zone.
- For Report title, enter a customized title for the report.
- For (Non-compulsory) E-mail topic line, depart it clean to make use of the report title or enter a customized topic line.
- For (Non-compulsory) E-mail physique textual content, depart it clean or enter a customized message to show in the beginning of the e-mail.
- Choose Embody PDF attachment to connect a PDF snapshot of the gadgets seen on the primary sheet of the dashboard.
- For Optimize report for, select a default structure possibility for brand new customers.
- Beneath Recipients, choose particular recipients from the listing (advisable), or choose Ship electronic mail report back to all customers with entry to dashboard.
- To ship a pattern of the report earlier than you save modifications, select Ship take a look at report.
This selection is displayed subsequent to the person identify of the dashboard proprietor.
- To view a listing of the datasets utilized by this report, select View dataset listing.
- Select Save report or Replace report.
A “Report scheduled” message briefly seems to verify your entries.
- To instantly ship a report, select Replace & ship a report now.
The report is distributed instantly, even when your schedule’s begin date is sooner or later.
The next screenshot exhibits the PDF report seen to the person
AlejandroRosalez. They’ve entry to information the place the state is California or Texas, and town is Los Angeles or Fort Price.
The next screenshot exhibits the report seen to the person
SaanviSarkar. They will see information for any metropolis, however provided that the state is Texas.
The next screenshot exhibits the report seen to the person
MarthaRivera. Martha can see the information for any metropolis or state.
The next screenshot exhibits that no information is seen to the
workshop person, which isn’t current within the
Arrange threshold-based electronic mail alerts
To create an alert primarily based on a threshold, full the next steps:
- On the QuickSight dashboard, select Dashboards, and navigate to the dashboard that you really want.
For extra details about viewing dashboards as a dashboard subscriber in QuickSight, see Exploring Dashboards.
- Within the dashboard, choose the KPI or gauge visible that you simply wish to create an alert for.
- On the choices menu at upper-right on the visible, select the Create alert icon.
- For Alert identify, enter a reputation for the alert.
- For Alert worth, select a worth that you simply wish to set the brink for.
The values which might be accessible for this selection are primarily based on the values the dashboard writer units within the visible. For instance, let’s say you’ve a KPI visible that exhibits a p.c distinction between two dates. Provided that, you see two alert worth choices: p.c distinction and precise.
If the visible has just one worth, you possibly can’t change this selection. It’s the present worth and is displayed right here so to use it as a reference when you select a threshold. For instance, if you happen to’re setting an alert on precise, this worth exhibits you what the present precise value is (for instance, $5). With this reference worth, you can also make extra knowledgeable selections whereas setting your threshold.
- For Situation, select a situation for the brink.
- Is above – The alert triggers if the alert worth goes above the brink.
- Is under – The alert triggers if the alert worth goes under the brink.
- Is the same as – The alert triggers if the alert worth is the same as the brink.
- For Threshold, enter a worth to immediate the alert.
- Select Save.
A message seems indicating that the alert has been saved. In case your information crosses the brink you set, you get a notification by electronic mail on the tackle that’s related along with your QuickSight account.
View alert historical past
To view the historical past of when an alert was triggered, full the next steps:
- On the QuickSight console, select Dashboards, and navigate to the dashboard that you simply wish to view alert historical past for.
- Select Alerts.
- Within the Handle dashboard alerts part, discover the alert that you simply wish to view the historical past for, and increase Historical past beneath the alert identify.
Arrange electronic mail alerts if the dataset refresh fails.
To configure emails alerts, if the your dataset refresh fails, full the next steps:
- On the QuickSight console, select Dataset, and select the dataset that you simply wish to set an alert for.
- Choose Electronic mail house owners when a refresh fails.
- Shut the window.
To keep away from incurring future prices, delete the QuickSight customers and Enterprise account.
This submit confirmed how you can arrange electronic mail scheduling of QuickSight dashboards for customers and teams, in addition to how end-users (readers) can configure alerts to be despatched to them when a worth surpasses or drops under a given threshold.
You may ship dashboard snapshots as emails to teams of readers, and every reader receives customized stories as per the safety configurations set on the dataset. For extra info, see sending stories by electronic mail and threshold alerts.
You may do this answer to your personal use instances. If in case you have feedback or suggestions, please depart them within the feedback.
In regards to the Creator
Niyati Upadhyay is a Options Architect at AWS. She joined AWS in 2019 and makes a speciality of constructing and supporting massive information options that assist clients analyze and get worth out of their information.